The Summer Palace, originally named as Qingyiyuan (Garden of Clear Ripples), was designed by the famous court architect Lei Jiaxi, and was bui1t between 1750 and l764. Covering about l90 hectares, the imperial garden is chiefly composed of the Longevity Hill and the Kunming Lake. It was burned and destroyed by the British-French a1lied army in 186O. The Empress Dowager Ci Xi had it renovated in l888 with the 5 million tae1s of si1ver that had been appropriated for building the Chinese navy, and changed its name to the present Yiheyuan, or the Garden of Harmonious Unity. Blended harmoniously with the landscape, the halls, towers, pavilions, corridors, walkways and bridges in the gardcn display exquisite workmanship. The Summer Palacc is the best preserved imperial garden in the wor1d with rich scenes and concentrated structures.